It’s always wise to take care when walking your dog and keep your ears to the ground so you know if there is anything that could put your pooch in danger in your local area. The British Veterinary Association (BVA) has warned people who may be going for a stroll with their precious pups in the Lake District, Scotland, East Northamptonshire and North Lincolnshire, among other areas, that there may well be toxic blue green algae present. If ingested, your dog could be struck down with vomiting, drooling, disorientation, diarrhoea, have trouble breathing, experience seizures or have blood in its faeces. If left untreated, exposure can result in liver damage and be fatal within days. This kind of algae will appear as green or greenish-brown scum on the surface of water and it can be harmful if ingested in even small quantities. If your dog is keen on swimming, do be extra careful when out and about this summer. Gudrun Ravetz, BVA senior vice-president, said: “We know that some dogs enjoy nothing better than a paddle in a cool lake while on a walk in this hot weather, but my advice to pet owners would be to keep your dog on a lead during walks near water confirmed to have toxic algal blooms. While not all blue green algae are poisonous, it is impossible to tell the difference visually, so it is better to be safe than sorry. Also look out for Alabama rot and use the dedicated website set up to help you identify areas near you that could pose a risk to your pet.